Matthew Perry, famed for his role as Chandler Bing in hit sitcom ‘Friends', was tragically found unconscious in his jacuzzi at his residence on October 28.
The actor, aged 54, was discovered by firefighters who were unable to resuscitate him as he had already passed away prior to their arrival. The entire team refrained from performing CPR due to the actor being beyond the scope of medical help.
Unresolved Cause of Death
The initial autopsy has not been able to ascertain the cause of Perry's death. Consequently, the coroner has requested a toxicology report to carry out further investigations which could shed some light on the circumstances surrounding his untimely demise.
A Storied Career and A Beloved Co-Star
Perry's abrupt passing led to an outpouring of grief from his former co-stars on ‘Friends', who considered their bond akin to ‘family'. His demise has left a vacuum in the hearts of the viewers who loved watching him on their television screens.
Personal Struggles with Addiction
Perry had a well-documented history of addiction, which began during his tenure on ‘Friends'. A Jet Ski accident in 1997 led to his addiction to Vicodin, a powerful painkiller. This further spiralled into alcohol abuse, resulting in his hospitalization for pancreatitis in 2000.
Despite his struggles, Perry had taken significant steps towards recovery before the ‘Friends' reunion in 2021. He had been vocal about his battles and the road to recovery.
Perry’s Legacy for Substance Abuse Recovery
The actor wished for his legacy to be more than his acting career. He desired it to be a testament to his efforts in helping others combat addiction. Perry was especially vocal about his experiences and the importance of support for individuals battling addiction on the “Q with Tom Power” podcast in 2022.
As a part of his commitment to assist others in their recovery, Perry converted his Malibu home into a sober living facility for men, known as Perry House, in 2013.